Monday, February 10, 2014

Harvest Monday - February 10, 2014

A couple of new items hit the harvest basket last week. The first of the Romanesco was harvested. (Some call it broccoli, others call it cauliflower, I just call it Romanesco).


Too bad it got away from me and was a bit overgrown. It's really difficult to keep a proper eye on things when they are shrouded all the time. It was still delicious though. I cut the head up into individual florets and steamed them for 5 minutes. Then I layered them in a gratin dish and covered them with a tomato sauce and crumbled local sheep's milk feta over the top and baked the dish until it was bubbling hot and the cheese just starting to brown a bit. That and a salad made a really satisfying and tasty vegetarian dinner.


The first tiny handful of snow peas was ready to harvest. I ate these raw in one of my lunch salads.


More celery and another small celeriac. I diced the celeriac and sliced the celery stalks and then sautéed them along with some chopped onion in some browned butter. Then the mixture was braised in some turkey stock until it was very tender. I served it finished with a drizzle of truffle oil along with roasted chicken. Big yum!


More celery and carrots to go into another lunch salad.


The weather is finally resembling something like our typical (or what used to be typical) winter. It's been mostly cool, cloudy, and WET! Although it's not really been wet enough around here, we've received only 2.88 inches (7.3 cm) of rain since the start of the rain season on July 1. This drought is a long way from being over.



Here's the harvests for the past week:

Di Ciccio broccoli - 15.6 oz. (forgot to photograph it)
Circus Circus carrots - 3.4 oz.
Sugarsnax carrots - .8 oz.
Dorato di Asti celery - 15.6 oz.
Monarch celeriac - 12 oz. (after trimming)
Oregon Sugar Pod II snow peas - .9 oz.
Romanesco (broccoli, cauliflower, whatever) - 1 lb., 4.5oz.

The total harvests for the week came to - 4 lb., 4.8 oz. (1.95 kg.)
Which brings the harvests for 2014 up to 16 lb., 15.9 oz. (7.71 kg.)

Harvest Monday is hosted by Daphne on her blog Daphne's Dandelions, head on over there to see what other garden bloggers have been harvesting lately.

6 comments:

  1. I've actually never tasted a Romanesco before. I'll have to try and find it at the farmer's market next summer. It's such a beautiful vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, peas, a sure sign of spring! We're under a foot of snow, with more to come this week...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely harvests. I miss the fresh produce. I actually broke down and bought some recently as I missed it too much. I usually break down in February sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving the sound of that celery and celeriac dish. Sounds perfect. Glad you had some rain, our forecast for next Saturday was for rain, but it is now for showers which basically means 'plan a picnic' because while rain is possible, it is unlikely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great harvest, that dish with the Romanesco sounded fantastic! I'm jealous of all your spring veggies, mine are still months away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow beautiful cauliflower, I grew it three years ago and it was struggling in our weather, maybe I didn't time it right, might try again if the seeds are still viable.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.